Wednesday, the 26th
-Last day of survival danish. We learned how to ask for a danish pastry (The "Danish", as we know it, is actually from Vienna. They are instead called Wienerbrod.) and walked around a bit.
Some Danish Pastries
1)I forget the name 1) The "Chocoalte bowl" 3) The "snail"
-Went on a scavenger hunt of major sites within the city and got free coffee! It was from the back of a portable cart Tried my first Espresso. It was horrible.
-Played UNO with Waterproof cards. It was genius.
Thusday, the 27th
-FIRST CLASSES!!!! SO excited about Biotech. I can't even explain it. This is an area of bio and chem that we don't really get exposure to at Carleton. Because I haven't worked in a lab, its completely foreign to me. We get to visit some huge pharmeceuticals (Topo Target and Leo) and my teacher works in the industry (something with business and market analysis of pharamceuticals). Biomedical HIV and AIDs was great as well. I went to Complexity of Cancer (which is really far away...a bus ride actually) to try and decide between that and HIV and AIDS. I got lost getting out of the building and it took me 15 mins to find the exit.
-In between my classes (5 hour break) had a coffee and explored and got my CPR number (kind of like an SS number, I only get one and its good for a lifetime.) Best part? It entitles me to free health care and meds.
-Went on a run with Adrian and explored the area. Great thing about Denmark are the bike paths...they make for easy running.
Friday, the 28th
-Had my first day of Art History, Nordic Mythology and Classical and Renaissance Rome. I am so exicted about all of these. Especially art history. I've never taken a course in art history before and we're studying one of my favorite periods (Classicism to Symbolism so 19th centuryish). Nordic mythology was HUGE (Bigger than orgo or intro bio) but they're splitting us up. The teachers were hilarious and just fed off each other. And Rome? Well, its rome. And we're going there for a week.
-my friend Jen came over to my Kollegium and we got ready for our DIS welcome party. On the way we got off at Kobenhavn H (Central Station) to find her host dad's office. Not gonna lie, it too us awhile....we circled the entir station looking for the "apotek"... but I found some great restaurants I want to try, as well as a Thai market!
-Got ready. I am super intimidated about going out in denmark, amidst the fashionable and fantastic danes. It went all right. We went on a canal tour (so cool, will try and post pictures soon) and then to a club which was ALLLLL DIS beacuse it was a welcome party. It was okay the music was not that great (think songs from five years but none of the really good ones) and it was too american.
-Going back home we stopped at the ever popular 7-11 and discovered why there are so many of them (one on each corner). There were lines OUT THE DOOR at all of them, and slow moving lines as well.
Saturday, the 29th
-Woke up late and tried to do some grocery shopping. I didn't finish. Have I mentioned that yogurt here? It comes in milk cartons and the texture is almost like...Danimals.
-Took the train into Copenhagen and met at DIS for a tour of the "other" Copenhagen. We went into Vesterbro, a part of the city outside central copenhagen. The former red-light district of C., it is now the place to be, according to my tour guide. There were some great shops and cafes that I want to find again.
-On above tour I tried "Super Fliers". These are traditional danish candies that danes will have sent to them when they are gone for awhile. No they are not minature paper airplanes as I thought. They are Licorie straws filled with pure salt and sugar.

-Had lunch at Cafe Citroen with some people from my tour. Beautiful sun and good company. It was really nice.
-Realized I had half an hour to do grocery shopping (danish stores close at 4 and aren't open Sundays) so I quickly finished my grocery shopping at Netto (almost like a bargain basement/dollar store with piles of food haphazardly crammed into shelves. Kinda sketchy)
-Bought chicken for the first time. I'm going to try and cook it sunday.
-Went and cooked dinner with Adrian and Jessi and Tim. Gradually more people from my Kollegium showed up. It ended with about 20 of us (including 7 rom poland and 2 from denmark and then the four of us) around the table with these ity bitty disposable shot glasses. So we tried polish vodka. One was just like Smirnoff but the other was definitely not. It was called Pitu and it had a picture of a lobster on the label...why would someone do that? I was just envisioning lobsters the whole time. It kind of smelled like seafood, but that could have just been the mental connection I was making. Needless to say I will not be having that again.

Sunday, the 30th
That's today!!!! I made breakfast and I'm about to try and run (its so windy so maybe not!). Plans for the day? Go into Copenhagen and wander and find someplace to do my HW.



No comments:
Post a Comment