the 24th, day 1 of orientation
Man, it was only yesterday? Well on this first day of orientation I got off to a great start by getting up late and getting lost and missing my first orientation meeting. I did succesfully find the train station and buy my rail pass and get on the correct train, however. So wandered around Copenhagen with some people from my Kollegium for awhile. Had lunch at an outdoor fair (Here till Sunday, it has greek, spanish and other ethnic foods...dutch pancake anyone?....as well as numerous nut/fruit/cheese/bakery stands) and sat on the steps of a fountain. During the afternoon I attended "Living and traveling in Denmark". See Below. That night we went grocery shopping (definitely needed more time, we closed down the shop and I had only found toilet paper, yogurt, broccoili, and bread). I also discovered I need to learn to cook. Despite some perfectly toasted bread, my eggs was well...the equivalent of a smooshed bouncy ball and the broccoli was the consistency of mashed potatos.
What I learned from Living and traveling Denmark
1. During my tour to Rome, we will get to cut lines (aka no waiting at the Vatican)
2. Europe is entirely too big and I have entirely too little time.
3. The danish, when on the inside of a train seat,will expect you move when they persistently rustle their bags. They will not speak to you.
4. The danish expect "more than third base", as my speaker put it, when they offer you a bed to sleep on for the night.
5. When americans come into a club, they say "Oh my god, we're at a bar". The danish say, "Oh fuck, there goes my night".
6. Danish humor: they find offensive jokes funny. Genocide? Supposedly hilarious here, though offensive to many americans. You should have seen our faces when he said that.
7. St peter's has coffee for 10 kroner ($2) instead of the customary 40 ($8)
8. They DO have peanut butter here.
the 25th, day 2 of Orientation
And so began my first day. Met a lot more people. I wonder how many will actually remain good friends? Oh how reminiscent of freshman year. Also learned some danish, and went to a Danish grocery story. Got my books (in an Ikea blue bag!) and went on a scavenger hung of Denmark which was actually fascinating. I want to do it again, but with a camera this time. I don't like Espresso, I discovered. Then went to a fair ( I did much better than the Carleton acitvities fair, I only signed up for a few things including the Climate Change committe and the Chicago 2016 olympics committee--they are deciding where to have it here in Copenhagen, a supposedly neutral city). That's it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment